Firewood - Where do I start?
Whether you’re looking for kiln-dried firewood or logs to season yourself, our selection of firewood crates is a good place to start your search.
All kiln-dried logs have been dried to 12-20% moisture, yielding a long slow burn with maximum heat output. Crates contain wood by species type: oak, ash, birch, and alder – or, if you prefer, we do the season your own as a mixed species pallet of hardwoods.
These logs can be used on their own or in combination with the other solid fuels we carry. Because we love a good wood fire ourselves, our crates are designed to make having a fire a pleasure.
If you’re not sure what you’d enjoy best, get in touch – we’re always happy to talk, and we’d love to help you get a better blaze on your stove, open fire or outside garden chiminea.
Here at LogsDirect, we ensure to conform to the essential requirements for firewood.
Some key regulations include:
Timber and firewood must come from legal and sustainable sources. The UK government encourages businesses to follow the Timber Procurement Policy (TPP) and the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR), which aim to prevent illegal logging and promote sustainable forestry.
Imported firewood must meet phytosanitary requirements to prevent the spread of harmful pests and diseases. The UK follows the EU Plant Health Regulation, which sets out specific import requirements for wood and wood products. Importers should ensure that firewood is treated (e.g., heat-treated, debarked) and accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.
To reduce air pollution, firewood sold in England must meet specific moisture content requirements. As of May 2021, the Air Quality (Domestic Solid Fuels Standards) (England) Regulations 2020 stipulate that wood sold in volumes under two cubic meters must have a moisture content of 20% or less.
Firewood packaging should display relevant information, including moisture content, wood species, and wood volume, to help consumers make informed choices.
Firewood Crates: Advantages for Managing, Storing, and Transporting Firewood
Firewood crates offer numerous benefits when handling, storing, and moving firewood. Key advantages include:
- Organization and containment: Firewood crates keep wood neatly organized and prevent scattering or rolling.
- Improved air circulation: Open-sided or slatted firewood crates enhance air circulation, which is essential for reducing moisture content and promoting efficient burning.
- Protection from ground moisture: Firewood crates elevate wood off the ground, shielding it from dampness, insects, and rodents.
- Efficient transport: Firewood crates simplify transportation's loading, stacking, and securing process.
- Easier handling: Firewood crates with handles or forklift access points streamline the process of moving firewood.
- Reusable and durable: Firewood crates from robust materials like wood or plastic are long-lasting and minimize waste.
- Measurement and standardization: Standard sizes and volumes of firewood crates facilitate more straightforward measurement and sales.
In summary, firewood crates are an effective solution for managing, storing, and transporting firewood, providing protection, improved drying, and user-friendliness.