Topsoil Delivered Directly to you
Where can I get topsoil delivered near me, you ask? Let us help you get your topsoil delivered direct to your door. We have a range of topsoil for sale, whether you’re installing turf, sowing grass seeds, filling up beds or just levelling out, our topsoil bulk bags will provide more than enough to get the job done.
Choosing good topsoil is essential to growing and maintaining thriving lawns, borders and beds. It forms the basis for any good garden as the crucial upper layer. Good topsoil contains essential nutrients, minerals and organic matter required for plants to flourish. It is usually placed relatively shallow - usually the top 5 to 10 inches.
What is Topsoil used for?
Topsoil is the top layer of your garden soil. It’s used to cover the upper layer of your soil and contains organic matter which helps plants to grow. It can be used to cover ground, create beds and borders, or make a simple and easy bed for growing grass or laying turf. It’s sometimes referred to by landscape gardeners as ‘filler soil’ because it is used to fill spaces where needed and level off areas.
- Improving the quality of garden soil.
- Adding depth to a shallow garden.
- Establishing new planting areas, beds and borders.
- Laying a new lawn.
- Acting as a top dressing to an existing lawn.
Other uses for garden topsoil include functioning as a growing medium for hanging baskets, window baskets, pots and raised bed planters.
Is topsoil the same as soil?
Ultimately, soil is soil. However, topsoil is distinct from garden soil. Soil in any individual garden is a unique mixture of organic matter, sand, silt and clay. Topsoil is a specially formulated landscaping material while garden topsoil is mixed to suit certain growing conditions.
How deep should my topsoil be?
How deep your topsoil should be depends on the purpose you are using it for. As a general rule, plants will grow better in deeper topsoil and will develop stronger root systems. However, you can consider the following recommendations:
- For general gardening and most planting - 8 inches (200 mm).
- For lawns - 4 to 6 inches (100 mm to 150 mm).
- For surface crops such as tomatoes, courgettes and beans - 6 to 8 inches (150 mm to 200 mm).
- For root vegetables such as potatoes, parsnips and carrots - 12 inches to 16 inches (300 mm to 400 mm).
What should good topsoil look like?
There are different grades of topsoil. Good topsoil suppliers will provide you with a product that has been tested to be Grade 1 industry quality. Good topsoil has the following characteristics:
- Free of large stones.
- Relatively dark in tone because of a high organic matter content.
- Not too black as that can indicate a lack of minerals.
- Crumbly and not clumped into balls, which can be caused by too much clay.
- Free from seeds and weed roots.
Is topsoil the same as soil?
Topsoil contains organic matter from leaves, tree bark, weeds and grasses that are natural and can help promote healthy plant life. It is an all-rounder which has many uses. Garden soil, however, is much more nutrient-rich, and so it is better suited to those who wish to do some serious growing.
Is it cheaper to buy topsoil in bulk?
Like most things, it’s much cheaper to buy topsoil in bulk bags. Topsoil suppliers like ourselves can sell larger quantities at a better rate, meaning you get more for your money. Make sure you work out just how much topsoil you’ll need for the job at hand, and order your topsoil accordingly to avoid wasting money and good quality topsoil.
How much topsoil is in a bulk bag?
The amount of topsoil that will come in your bulk topsoil delivery is up to you. Apart from our smaller bags which are ideal for filling pots and planters, our larger, bulk buy quantities come in 1 tonne topsoil bags (1000kg), or half tonne topsoil bags (500kg). Our top-quality topsoil is also available in larger quantities upon request, so please contact us with any enquiries you may have. Fertile, safe and 100% natural, our topsoil is perfect for establishing lawns, creating beds or growing fruit and veg.
Does topsoil help grass?
A layer of topsoil added to a lawn can help the grass to grow. This is called “topdressing”. However, topsoil should only be applied to a lawn in the following way:
- Use topsoil similar to that which is already in the lawn. You can buy a soil testing kit to do this.
- You only need to add 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of topsoil.
- Gently spread the topsoil, paying attention to depressions which may require a little more to level them out.
- You can then add further seed to the topsoil. New grass shoots will struggle to grow through if they are buried too deeply in topsoil.
Once the warmer weather hits, we all begin to dream about what we might do with our gardens this summer. Almost all of your landscaping, grass-growing or turf installing dreams will require some topsoil.
Where can I get topsoil delivered near me?
At Logs Direct, we offer affordable and reliable topsoil delivery services to get your topsoil delivered to you across the UK, so take a look at our range today.
If you have any topsoil delivery questions and/or requirements, contact us today.